Saturday 11 July 2015

Art Recipe: Fairy Tale Book

My dear Friends...
This is one of those moments  in the year when I'm compelled to do a really excited happy dance. :)
It's time to reveal some of my brand new products!!!
Are you ready?
If you'd like to read more, head on to Prima blog where you can find more info about these "art babies" of mine. :)


Do you need more? :) Here you are:


And to celebrate the new release, I prepared a very special new Art Reciple featuring my new Art Ingredients Iridescent Powders. I hope you like my Fairy Tale Book...


Here are some details:




And here's my new Art Recipe that I hope will inspire you to grab an old book and give it a new life.



Here is how it all happened:

1. I picked a book I wanted to alter: for my project the fairy tale book seemed to be just perfect!
I put a coat of Art Basics Black Heavy Gesso on both of the covers and I let it dry.
When the surface turned matte, I prepared a customized gel paste I wanted to use with a stencil on my book covers. I took a plastic plate and mixed some of my Art Ingredients Micro Beads with a transparent, permanent base i.e. Art Basics 3D Gloss Gel. After a short moment of stirring the mixture was ready to apply.


2. I took one of my stencils (Elementals Harlequin) and carefully applied the "micro bead gel" mixture through it on both back and the front of the book. I dried the project a bit with heating gun until it was dry enough to continue the work.
I took some more of 3D Gloss Gel and I used it as an adhesive: I glued a selection of different elements on the front cover to create a multi layered, interesting look: metal embellishments, buttons, some resin and plaster elements, pieces of old jewelry and more!


3. I continued the work adding more and more elements until I was happy with the composition. I dried the cover with the heating gun again, making sure all of the embellishments will stay in place.
Art Basics 3D Gloss Gel gets permanent after drying, so very soon I was able to move to the next step which was covering all the elements on the cover with Art Basics Heavy Black Gesso.


4. When the gesso was getting dry I started to mix a bit of my custom made paint: I mixed a bit of my new Art Ingredients Iridescent Mica Powders (available soon!) with Art Basics Soft Gel.
This kind of Mica Powder looks best when applied on dark backgrounds, that's when all the beauty of Iridescent Mica is visible.
I picked the first colour, cleaned off most of the paint from the brush and started applying it on the top of my composition. The effect was simply amazing!


5. I continued the same process of drybrushing with more of the Mica colours. At some point I wanted to add some more of the lighter tones to it and I also mixed some paint out of new silver metallic Mica Powder and applied it mostly on the "face" I had in my composition.
The effect was far beyond my expectations, with great contrast and depth! To finish, I simply let the project dry... and in a couple of minutes the "Fairy Tale Book" was ready!


Here are some of the products I used for this piece, all of which available in our store:


As for my new Iridescent Mica Powders - patience, my friends. :) I hope they will be available very soon, for now keep checking with Prima blog for more inspiring sneak peeks! :)

I hope you enjoyed this Art Recipe... I can't express how excited I was to work with my new products, just being released this summer... really, the best feeling ever!
I wish you a great creative week
Sending hugs and best wishes


19 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats!!! Oh wow, can't wait to get my hands on to those Mica Powders, from looking the pics - loving that orange tone Mica Powder! All the best!

Marianne/skorpionen said...

Amazing result! Love it!
And congrats with your newest release, can't wait till MMP gets it!

Ann said...

WOW!Love t!

Kathy G. said...

Wow Anna this is GORGEOUS! The photos are beautiful. I can't imagine how wonderful it must be to see in person. Looking forward to getting the new mica powders, especially the iridescent. I'm also very intrigued by the Snowflake Paste.

Gail said...

Stunning - love it all xx GailT xx

smokeysmom said...

This is fabulous, of course! I, too, cannot wait to get my hands on your new releases. Congratulations, Finn! Well earned and deserved:)

Laura S Reading said...

I love your project. Thank you for the recipe and great instructions.

Kathy Bradley said...

Gorgeous book cover - wonderful design and can't wait to get my hands on the new mica powders and photo cards.

Lee-Anne said...

Cannot wait to try your new Mica Powders and the Snowflake Paste, Finn! LOVE this beautiful cover for your altered book! Thanks for providing even more inspiration after your classes in Edmonton!

Asas à imaginação said...

Resultado fantástico!!!
Parabéns pelos novos lançamentos!
Abraços,
Marlei

barbara macaskill said...

OOOOOOOOOOOO! This is gorgeous and I can't wait to get my hands on these awesome products so I can give an old book a new makeover!!! LOVELOVELOVE your products!!

Toni said...

Oh my goodness... I can't wait to get my hands on the new products. Congrats Finn on all your accomplishments !!!

Michele said...

this is pure art magic. love it! xo

KOLOROWY ptak said...

Padłam! Boskie, to mało powiedziane! Nie potrafię się napatrzeć... detale są niesamowite! I zapowiedź nowości... już nie mogę się doczekać!!! Jakbyś czytała w moich myślach :D idealne!

Mona Pendleton said...

Gorgeous project as always! Love all the shimmer and texture!

smokeysmom said...

One more comment for my dear Finn...

Will your shop carry the plaster(?) face used in this fairy book??? I guess it's plaster, maybe resin? It would be great if your shop could carry more of these mixed media pieces:) Hugs, Maggie

Unknown said...

I love the effect of your mica powders and was mesmerized in class with the versatility of this product. In fact I love all of your products and can't wait til they arrive next week. :) This is awesome!

finnabair said...

I'm sorry to say this face is just a "finding" - I got it from one of my students and it is clay...

Cathy F said...

I wouldn't have thought to mix powders with gel - I always just used them dry! Can't wait for these new colors!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...