Friday 8 April 2016

Rustic Journal

Happy Creative Friday, Everyone!
This post could easily be titled: The Exquisite Art of Layering by Linda M. Cain. :)
When you follow Linda's steps today, you will fall in love with everything she does with my mediums and maybe feel tempted to try some tricks yourself!
Enjoy!



Hello everyone, Linda Cain here today with more from the Wonderful World of Finnabair. Just wait until you see all the fun that you can have with these new and “magical” products.
I start with my Journal cover that needs some special treatment.


1. I knew I wanted some dimension to the cover so I made a few decorations using the Iron Orchids Designs moulds and black LOW temp hot glue.


2. I took the cover off my Journal by gently separating the rings just enough to pull off the cover. Then I painted the cover with Heavy Black Gesso and glued 2 pieces to the cover with 3D Matte Gel.


3. I painted all around the molded pieces first with Gold Rush Art Alchemy acrylic paint.
Then I added a mixture of Steampunk Copper and Texture Powder on top in several spots.


4. I decided I wanted more texture, so I used 3D Gloss Gel and the Lattice Stencil on the corners.
If I was any kind of a planner, this probably would've been better as a step BEFORE gluing down the mold pieces. But I generally fly by the seat of my pants. (An American phrase for not planning)


5. Here you see the 2 different colors create an aged gold patina. Then I started adding more color with some Turquoise Inka Gold and Metallique Paints.


6. The foreground shows the Violet/Green Opal Magic brushed onto the stenciled area. I just went crazy with all the Opal Magic paints. They are too wonderful for words when applied to a black background. Check them all out.
I also added White Crackle Paste around the molded pieces and sprinkled Mini Art Stones and Art Stones on top while still wet.


7. You can see here that I've started adding more color to the molds with paints and Mica Powders + Water Sprays.


8. Layers, and layers, and more layers. I dropped Walnut Inks around the edges and into the stones so it seeps into the cracks.


9. I sprayed Walnut Ink and added water to tone it down, and then blotted it off.
This corner shows the brilliance of the many Opal Magic Paints I used on the Black Gesso and stenciled areas, as well as more Mica spraying with Blue, Bottle Green, Purple, and Copper powders. The last layer is Black India Ink that created great contrast.


10. This is a detail shot of the Art Stones and the wonderful shine of the Mica Paints and Sprays.
The lower right corner is the knob closure with lots of yummy layers of color.




11. Each way you turn it, you get a different shine of Mica color. This shows the great Copper color and slight tinges of purple.
 I love the way that turned out when the mixture of Purple and Black Cherry Mica Spray run together.

12. This is just one more angle with the colors and contrast from the India ink.
The Walnut Ink really aged the White Crackle Paste.


I hope you've enjoyed this. I know I did.
I really broke out all the sprays and Opal Magics to just add color everywhere with abandon.

Have fun and Create Art!
Linda

Materials used:

7 comments:

SewPaperPaint said...

Thanks a million for the step by step. This is fantastic!!! <3

Debby said...

This is absolutely gorgeous! Love it!

sarascloset said...

This is absolutely fabulous! I love the textures, the colors and those wonderful metallics! Thank you for the great tutorial! Hugs!

Kathy Bradley said...

Linda - So very gorgeous and textural - love, love!

Kathy Bradley said...

Gorgeous, Linda, as always. So much amazing texture and beautiful colors and an awesome tutorial.

~Kathy~ said...

I am in awe. Just found all these products. Love the style. Can't seem to get enough of these ideas. Great job.

Athanasia said...

Gorgeous Linda! I love the rusty details!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...